|The MEMROD® process is based on the membrane activated sludge process – the combination of a conventional aerobic activated sludge system with an innovative low-pressure membrane filtration process in the activated sludge tank. The cleaning process comprises two stages – biological degradation of pollutants and mechanical retention of all solids by the membranes. The biological degradation of organic water constituents, expressed as COD and BOD5, takes place in the activated sludge tank under aerobic conditions. Here, freely moving microorganisms form new biomass as well as water and carbon dioxide while consuming air oxygen.
The required air is injected as finely distributed bubbles at the tank bottom below the membrane modules. This ensures that the microorganisms are supplied with oxygen while also allowing the flowing air to remove any deposits that may form on the membranes. The purified wastewater flows through the fine pores of the membrane surfaces into the membrane modules and exits the activated sludge tank as a high-quality filtrate that requires no further treatment.The membranes are fine enough to retain even bacteria in the reactor. Thus the chlorination plant, which is usually necessary on ships, can be dispensed with. Moreover, there is no need for a secondary settling tank, which is normally required in conventional biological treatment processes.
• Solids-free effluent, single highly efficient system to handle both black and grey water sewage
• No need for a chlorine disinfecting treatment
• Most compact design, small dimensions
• Delivery as plug and play unit, ready for operation
• Fully automatic operation, easy to maintain, low operation costs
• Suitable to treat all waste water aboard ship
• No odor emissions as a result of automated odor control